Congratulations to our newly elected officers, including some returning officers. Please see the Board Members Page for a list of the new AAPALM officers.
WELCOME TO THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS IN LEGAL MEDICINE (AAPA-LM) WEBSITE.
AAPA-LM is a special interest group within the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA) and is open to all AAPA members. Through this website and our academy, we hope to offer information, education and resources to our profession, and to the legal and medical communities. See our Mission Statement.
1) WE EXTEND A WELCOME AND INVITATION TO NEW MEMBERS!
2) NEW WINTER 2016 AAPALM NEWSLETTER!
3) PRESIDENT-ELECT NICHOLSON HAS A NEW PUBLICATION AND WILL PRESENT AT AAPA CONFERENCE IN VEGAS MAY 2017
4) UPDATE YOUR DIRECTORY INFORMATION
1) IF YOU ARE VISITING US FOR THE FIRST TIME DUE TO THE EMAIL YOU RECEIVED… We are very happy to have you join us as a Fellow member. Your $50 annual membership dues provides access to quarterly newsletters, education and educational materials and lectures on PA scope or practice standards and research on PA malpractice, camaraderie with the most well-informed PAs in the country on medical -legal issues and the opportunity to be contacted and listed as an expert witness to testify on PA standards of care. Please see our mission statement for more information and the membership sign up page.
2) AAPALM PUBLISHES FOUR NEWSLETTERS PER YEAR. THE NEW WINTER 2016 NEWSLETTER HAS BEEN EMAILED TO ALL CURRENT MEMBERS. YOU CAN SEE AND DOWNLOAD IT IN THE MEMBERS SECTION ALONG WITH ALL PREVIOUS EDITIONS. THANK YOU TO SHERRY MARTIN, D.Sc., PA-C, OUR NEWSLETTER EDITOR AND TO THE EDITORIAL BOARD. IF ANY MEMBER WISHES TO CONTRIBUTE AN ARTICLE, PLEASE EMAIL SHERRY AT NewsletterEditor@aapalm.org
3) PRESIDENT-ELECT JEFF NICHOLSON, PhD, PA-C, HAS A NEW RESEARCH ARTICLE PUBLISHED. In the July 30, 2016, issue of Medical Care Research and Review, Jeff Nicholson along with PA Researcher emeritus Rod Hooker and Douglas Brock have new research comparing the malpractice incidence and medical board disciplinary actions of PAs to that of physicians and nurse practitioners over the past ten years. This update’s Nicholson’s published landmark dissertation study (2009) comparing the same during the first 17 years of the National Practitioner Data Bank from 1990-2007. Both study’s indicate that PAs and NPs are sued and disciplined much less frequently than our physician colleagues. CLICK HERE FOR NEW STUDY: Brock-Nicholson-Hooker Malpractice Trends CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL 2009 LANDMARK STUDY: Nicholson – Hooker 2009 Article These articles have also been added to the Resources section of this website.
Please know that Jeff will also be presenting at the 2017 AAPA National Conference in Las Vegas. He will be co-presenting with the AAPA’s Legal Counsel Stephanie Radix, JD.
Location: Mandalay Bay South Convention Center, Las Vegas
Dates: Monday, May 15 – Friday, May 19, 2017
An Ounce of Prevention: How to Avoid Being Disciplined by the Medical Board
Presentation Date and Time:
5/16/2017, 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
4) WHEN MEMBERS LOGIN, THEY WILL SEE THEIR BASIC DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION. PLEASE UPDATE AS NEEDED. ALSO PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR MEMBER PROFILE FOR THE PA EXPERT DIRECTORY: GO TO THE TOP RIGHT MENU AND CHOOSE : “INPUT MEMBER PROFILE” THESE ARE TWO DIFFERENT ITEMS.